Category Archives: Snippets

Comparing Old Cippenham with The Present Day

The National Library of Scotland has created a superb online resource for making comparisons between historic Ordnance Survey maps and Esri satellite images. The image below has been created using this resource to compare the 1897 OS map with the

Earliest photograph of Cippenham

This is probably the earliest photograph of Cippenham, taken at the village centre. The image was supplied by Slough Museum and their record states that it was from 1907. The view is along Lower Cippenham Lane with the pond to

Western House

This is a detail from a photograph in Slough Museum’s collection. It shows Western House, a large farmhouse on the east side of Brook path which was homestead to the farmer Josiah Gregory in the early 20th Century. Josiah Gregory

Fire at Cippenham Court Farm in 1919

This article from The Evening Telegraph, Thursday, June 5, 1919 DISASTROUS FIRE NEAR MOTOR TRANSPORT DEPOT Cippenham Court Farm, which adjoins the Government motor transport depot at Slough, was the scene of a disastrous fire this morning. Seven oat ricks,

John Rocque’s Berkshire Map, 1761

John Rocque’s ‘A topographical map of the county of Berkshire’ was first published in 1761. It could well be the earliest map in existence that shows Cippenham, which Rocque spelt ‘Sypingham’.  The map was produced in 18 plates and unfortunately

Shocking practices of Cippenham villagers

Cippenham Agriculture 1909/1910

This image shows Cippenham villagers indulging in the long-forgotten practice of “shocking up”. Corn stalks were gathered into bundles, placed upright and bound up, so that they would dry out. The image is one from a delightful photograph album currently

The Haymill Water Wheel?

W. R(?). DELL & SON. ENGINEERS. LONDON & CROYDON

Many people who lived in Cippenham Green will remember the sight of an abandoned water-wheel lying in a field. Past the north side of the village green was a large field known as Greg’s farm. The Gregory family had certainly

Navigable channel from the Thames to Cippenham

Maxwell Fraser in her History of Slough references Tighe & Davis for the astonishing claim that there was a navigable channel from the Thames which passed near to the ‘palace’ up which Edward III (1327 to 1377) was rowed in

Some stray notes.. from 1894

The extract below is from a short book titled Some stray notes upon Slough and Upton, collected from various sources,  published in 1892 On the south-west side of Slough we come first to Chalvey, a very dusty and unhappy-looking village,

John Mason of Cippenham Court Farm, murdered, 1757.

In June, 1757, John Mason, of Cippenham Court Farm, returning home from Windsor Market, was way-laid by two footpads, who robbed him of 25 guineas, and shot him in the stomach, wounding him fatally, Extract from Maxwell Fraser’s The History