Category Archives: Articles

The 1940 bombings and Susan Cooper

Although Cippenham suffered little from air attacks in WW2, during the month of October 1940, Buckinghamshire was bombed intensively and Cippenham was hit twice. Details given in the record “Bombs over Bucks” are scant. • 14th Oct. Cippenham Old people’s

Cippenham’s Cinema

Theis building started out as the Commodore Cinema

Cippenham has only ever had one cinema. Originally named the Commodore it opened its doors on 30 November 1938. A stone’s throw from Everett’s Corner, it was situated on the Bath Road at the east side of the junction with

The Slough Bomb Mystery

Of the many secret files of World War Two that have been declassified, only one contains the word ‘mystery’ in its title. The event that confounded the British War Cabinet and the high-command of the RAF was termed the Slough

Fun with colouring

Recently, newly coloured-in versions of vintage black-and-white photographs have been appearing in newspapers and online news sites. The realism of the colouring compares favourably with genuine vintage colour photography.  The work is usually attributed to a ‘professional colourist’. Quite a

Two-Mile Brook

Millstream

Two-mile brook is an ancient mill stream that flows from Haymill (once the site of a mill called Ay Mill) through the heart of Cippenham. It possesses more early historical references than any building or other feature within Cippenham. The

The man who came back from the dead

Cippenham War Memorial

The war memorial in the centre of Cippenham carries the names of those from the village who fell during the First and Second World Wars. The inscribed list for the First World War contains 19 names, the last of which

The Cippenham V1 Flying Bomb

Cippenham Doodlebug

In World War 2, Cippenham escaped relatively lightly from German bombing. At around 8:40 AM on 23 August 1944, however, a V1 flying bomb (doodlebug) fell from the sky and exploded near to the boundary of the village green. The

Sir John Herschel and Jos Langton of Cippenham Court Farm

Sir John Herschel (1792-1871), was the only son of Sir William Herschel. Like his father, Sir John was one of the foremost scientists of his age and also lived at Observatory House in Wellington Road, Slough. He made enormous contributions

Royal Connections and Palace

There is a tradition that in Cippenham there was once an Anglo-Saxon palace which was home to the Kings of Mercia. In A Topographical Dictionary of England published in 1848 [1], the entry on Burnham says “It appears to have

How Cippenham Court Farm became The Slough Dump

Prior to the 20th century, Cippenham was a quiet country village consisting of humble terraced cottages surrounded by some large farms. East of the centre was Cippenham Court Farm which is the only one from which buildings survive to the