Category Archives: era

Norman’s Garage

Norman’s Garage was a petrol forecourt and car showroom that sold Talbot and Chrysler cars. It was on the west corner of Stowe and Bath Road. This photograph was probably taken around September 1982 and is looking from Stowe Road,

Inside the Great Barn

The Great Barn is one of a group of buildings that were once the nucleus of Cippenham Court farm. Positioned on the south side of Cippenham Lane opposite Westgate School playing field, the Great Barn is a fine looking Grade

White Horse Inn Pictures

Here are some pictures of the White Horse taken some time between 1996 and 2000. The White Horse is believed to have been a coaching inn. It stood on the Bath Road next to Brook Path and Two Mile Brook.

Comparing Old Cippenham with The Present Day

The National Library of Scotland has created a superb online resource for making comparisons between historic Ordnance Survey maps and Esri satellite images. The image below has been created using this resource to compare the 1897 OS map with the

Cippenham’s Cinema

Cippenham has only ever had one cinema. Originally named the Commodore it opened its doors on 30 November 1938. A stone’s throw from Everett’s Corner, it was situated on the Bath Road at the east side of the junction with

The Slough Bomb Mystery

Of the many secret files of World War Two that have been declassified, only one contains the word ‘mystery’ in its title. The event that confounded the British War Cabinet and the high-command of the RAF was termed the Slough

The Montem Mound is Anglo-Saxon

In December 2016, a team from the Department of Archaeology, University of Reading, drilled into the Montem Mound (the Salt Hill) and removed samples of soil in order to determine its age. Analysis by radio-carbon dating determined that the mound

Earliest photograph of Cippenham

This is probably the earliest photograph of Cippenham, taken at the village centre. The image was supplied by Slough Museum and their record states that it was from 1907. The view is along Lower Cippenham Lane with the pond to

Western House

This is a detail from a photograph in Slough Museum’s collection. It shows Western House, a large farmhouse on the east side of Brook path which was homestead to the farmer Josiah Gregory in the early 20th Century. Josiah Gregory

Fire at Cippenham Court Farm in 1919

This article from The Evening Telegraph, Thursday, June 5, 1919 DISASTROUS FIRE NEAR MOTOR TRANSPORT DEPOT Cippenham Court Farm, which adjoins the Government motor transport depot at Slough, was the scene of a disastrous fire this morning. Seven oat ricks,